Product Line Manager
The Product Line Manager’s role is to articulate the product line's unique advantage and devise management strategies accordingly. You will build products from existing ideas, and help to develop new ideas based on your industry experience and your contact with customers and prospects. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the market to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions for the broader market.
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with an engineering counterpart to define product release requirements. You will work with sales to define the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customer. You will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering, occasionally working with the sales channel and key customers.
1. Develop and support strategic planning from a product and market standpoint. Assist with keeping the company aligned to the plan thru focused development and enhancements.
2. Manage the entire product line life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities.
3. Work within the Engineering Gate process to provide product decisions based on information attained from customers, market research, competition and sales. Ensure development is following said needs and meeting the goals as laid out. Includes but is not limited to: market research, voice of customer, product attributes, validation requirements, approving design reviews, pricing, naming and sign off of each stage of the process.
4. Communicate with the team on important product changes such as product release dates, part numbers, product form, fit and function to ensure the changes meet customer needs and the team is aware.
5. Work with sales to assure early buy-in and engagement on new product development projects. Gain commitment from sales that product attributes/features will result in products that are successful in meeting the market need.
6. Assist Sales Director in rallying the team around new product values that are being developed to meet the customer needs.
7. Improve communication and clarity of product market alignment with strategic plans throughout the product development process. Assure sales alignment, commitment and knowledge of markets for products that are currently being developed.
8. Work with sales and marketing to assure proper training and tools are in place, foster a high-level understanding of product knowledge before product launch.
9. Drive departmental alignment to current product development projects while evaluating and prioritizing new opportunities.
10. Specify market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by on-going visits to customers and non-customers and aligning with core company competencies.
11. Drive a solution set across development teams through market requirements, product contract, and positioning.
12. Develop and implement a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
13. Analyze potential partner relationships for the product.
14. Monitor product success in both volume and margin to ensure alignment with strategic plan.
15. Ensure strategic business objectives are met with product lines.
16. Organize and develop a pricing strategy for each product line.
17. Maintain pricing and discounts to meet market demand on an ongoing basis.
18. Drive field trials for new product development and quality improvements by coordinating customers, collecting feedback and even site visits to assess success.
19. Understand and provide knowledge on market regulatory requirements.
20. Be the company expert on competitor’s strengths and weaknesses as well as values, pricing, market share and product attributes.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, plus hands-on mechanical aptitude.
- Must have at least 5 years industry knowledge (vehicle care or industrial cleaning).
- Must have 5-10 years product line experience.
- Adept at communicating with every area of the company.
- Knowledge of engineering processes, manufacturing, and sales/marketing.
- This position requires travel to customer and non-customer sites in North America (10%).
- Good Communication Skills – must work with many of the company’s key clients.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized and able to multitask.
- Effective listening skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Computer proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, CRM and web applications.
- CUSTOMER FOCUS: Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
- JOB COMMITMENT: Willingly accepts responsibility and performs expected and unexpected tasks as needed. Demonstrates initiative and tenacity; Asks for help when needed; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; exerts extra effort when necessary to get the job done. Performs effectively under stressful conditions. Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- STRESS TOLERANCE: Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE: Possess, acquires, and maintains the technical expertise required to do the job effectively and to create effective customer solutions. Technical expertise is demonstrated through problem solving, applying technical knowledge, and product knowledge.
- ORGANIZING, PLANNING & DECISION MAKING: Analyzes problems, identifies issues, establishes priorities and accomplishes outcomes in a timely manner; anticipates needs and develops alternative courses of action in recognition of changing conditions. Uses time efficiently; Develops realistic action plans.
- RELATING TO OTHERS: Expresses ideas and concerns clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, both orally and in writing. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows thru on commitments. Works and interacts with and is supportive of co-workers. Sacrifices self-interest when necessary to accomplish group goals. Keeps others properly informed and solicits opinions and feedback of other team members.
- EXTERNAL & INTERNAL RELATIONS: Provides guidance and willingly helps and/or acts as a resource in obtaining assistance. Manages difficult or emotional situations; Responds promptly to needs. Interacts appropriately and respectfully with vendors, customers, peers and subordinates. Promotes a positive company image.
- QUALITY: Performs work consistent with expected standards of performance; exhibits accuracy, thoroughness and effectiveness, etc. in carrying out work duties. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Applies feedback to improve performance.
- BUSINESS ACUMEN: Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of all areas of business; Aligns work with strategic goals.