Sr. Project Engineer
Do you like to hone your engineering, leadership and problem-solving skills every day? Do you have the grit it takes to manage projects from concept to completion?
We are looking for an experienced project engineer who enjoys managing projects and keeping them on track. This is a fast-growing company where you can be empowered to complete high quality product development projects if you are willing and able to wear the many hats required for success – and we’ll all celebrate with you when that happens!
- Develop detailed product development project plans, understand technical feasibility and project risk, meet cost targets, coordinate resources, and meet time restraints on multiple product development projects. Effectively manage changes in scope, schedule and cost.
- Understand and embrace roles of interdepartmental peers to lead projects using a stage gate product development system.
- Facilitate project meetings, error on over communication.
- Identify areas of technical project risk and elevate as appropriate before the consumption of time and resources.
- Assure that new products are fully validated before sale to customers, take all steps necessary to avoid quality issues in the field.
- Act as a technical and project management mentor to other engineers.
- Keep accurate project records including but not limited to bills of materials with costing, timelines and validation summaries.
- Help plan and participate in field trials, prototype and pilot runs.
- Conduct cost benefit analysis where appropriate to determine best course of action.
- Interface with suppliers, vendors, consultants and customers to achieve product development goals.
- Act as an active member of the engineering department to foster teamwork.
- Work with engineering technicians to complete product validation and assure conformance to voice of customer.
- Participate in both design and hands-on work to see products created and manufactured onsite in our adjoining factory and engineering lab.
- Use engineering judgment, concepts and theories.
- Document and help seek intellectual property protection on new-designs.
- Provide project status to the Engineering Manager.
- Other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- BS or MS Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 10 years mechanical engineering experience, preference for new product development.
- 3-5 years of project management experience leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience with CAD software.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office products.
- Familiarity with project management tools / software.
- Demonstrated ability to elicit cooperation and gain cross department commitment from senior management.
- Demonstrated leadership of teams.
- Highly competent in technical writing and verbal presentations.
- Work in a fast-paced, small team environment under minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet schedule and cost commitments.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to stand 10-25% of the time.
- ORGANIZING, PLANNING & DECISION MAKING: Analyzes problems, identifies issues, establishes priorities and accomplishes outcomes in a sequential fashion; anticipates needs and develops alternative courses of action in recognition of changing conditions.
- KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL: Acquires training or skills to apply up-to-date knowledge to achieve results; demonstrates innovativeness in applying leading edge technology and/or new procedures and approaches.
- JOB COMMITMENT: Willingly accepts responsibility and performs expected and unexpected tasks as needed. Demonstrates initiative and tenacity; exerts extra effort when necessary to get the job done. Performs effectively under stressful conditions.
- RELATING TO OTHERS: Expresses ideas and concerns clearly both orally and in writing. Works and interacts with and is supportive of co-workers. Sacrifices self-interest when necessary to accomplish group goals. Keeps others properly informed and solicits opinions and feedback of other team members.
- EXTERNAL & INTERNAL RELATIONS: Provides guidance and willingly helps and/or acts as a resource in obtaining assistance. Interacts appropriately and respectfully with vendors, customers, peers and subordinates. Promotes a positive company image.
- QUALITY: Performs work consistent with expected standards of performance; exhibits accuracy, thoroughness and effectiveness, etc. in carrying out work duties.