Sr. Quality Engineer
The Sr. Quality Engineer develops, establishes, and maintains quality systems and processes that meet company and customer needs. This position provides focused quality engineering support of manufacturing and business processes to ensure the delivery of product that meet our customers’ expectations. This position will drive successful development, deployment, and maintenance of business processes, tools, and training that contribute to compliance with business best practices. The Sr. Quality Engineer will influence change across all business disciplines and will team with Manufacturing, Engineering, Supply chain, and Production.
- Warranty Management - Manage return material authorization (RMA) process. Investigate returns, diagnose situation, communicate finding and implement short and long term corrective actions. Identify root cause and corrective action. Drive initiatives to reduce warranty occurrence and improve the customer experience.
- Production Testing – Determine best methods for ensuring process capability and product quality. Implement data collection and analysis tools including first pass yield (FPY), statistical process control, process, product, and packaging audits.
- Supply Chain Quality Management – Responsible for receiving inspection oversite, supplier quality records (FAI, PPAP, Deviations, etc). Initiates and manages supplier corrective action reports (SCAR), develops and monitors quality metrics, communicates with suppliers to ensure product expectations are met.
- External Quality Representative – Review and interpret customer needs regarding product quality, identify internal actions to meet specific requests regarding quality reporting and documentation, develop and monitor internal processes to ensure compliance.
- Quality Management System – Lead a company initiative to develop, implement, and utilize a QMS program. Create teams to improve and document existing processes. Identify gaps and develop new procedures to provide clear expectations of roles and responsibilities. Assist Quality Director in preparing QMS related training materials for plant personnel as appropriate.
- Enterprise Resource Planning – Participate in implementation of ERP system as Quality Department representative. Ensure that system tools integrate with QMS and differences are reconciled. Determine which ERP tools will be utilized and develop a plan and schedule for roll out.
- Material Review Board (MRB) – Develop and manage a process for periodic review of rejected materials. Lead a team through disposition, data collection, short and long term corrective action, supplier interaction, reporting, and trend analysis. Understand the customer in all phases of the business enough to help make appropriate decisions in quality systems planning and MRB dispositioning.
- New Product Introduction – Lead all quality aspects of implementation of new product into production including: Process FMEA, tolerance analysis, machine process capability, development and acquisition of gages and test equipment, development of process and test data collection inputs, FAI on all tooled parts.
- Audit - Conduct product, process and/or systems audits within the plant and as needed at supplier sites
- Other duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 5-15 years of experience in engineering or a technical role.
- 5+ years of experience as Quality Engineer or similar role.
- Exceptional mechanical aptitude.
- Basic understanding of electrical systems and components.
- Experience with new product introduction.
- Experience with ISO 9001.
- Experience with ERP systems.
- Training and basic understanding of Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma is desired.
- Experience in conducting Supplier Quality and/or Internal Audits is desired.
- Ability to focus on both internal and external customer relationships and effectively manage expectations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and ability to manage project timelines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to stand, walk and sit for extended periods of time.
- Minimal travel may be required (less than 10% of the time).
- ORGANIZING, PLANNING AND DECISION MAKING: Analyzes problems, identifies issues, establishes priorities and accomplishes outcomes in a sequential fashion; anticipates needs and develops alternative courses of action in recognition of changing conditions.
- KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL: Acquires training or skills to apply up-to-date knowledge to achieve results; demonstrates innovativeness in applying leading edge technology and/or new procedures and approaches.
- JOB COMMITMENT: Willingly accepts responsibility and performs expected and unexpected tasks as needed. Demonstrates initiative and tenacity; exerts extra effort when necessary to get the job done. Performs effectively under stressful conditions.
- RELATING TO OTHERS: Expresses ideas and concerns clearly both verbally and in writing. Works and interacts with and is supportive of co-workers. Sacrifices self-interest when necessary to accomplish group goals. Keeps others properly informed and solicits opinions and feedback of other team members.
- EXTERNAL & INTERNAL RELATIONS: Provides guidance and willingly helps and/or acts as a resource in obtaining assistance. Interacts appropriately and respectfully with vendors, customers, peers and subordinates. Promotes a positive company image.
- QUALITY: Performs work consistent with expected standards of performance; exhibits accuracy, thoroughness and effectiveness, etc. in carrying out work duties.
- LEADERSHIP: Organizes a group of people to achieve a common goal. The ability to influence people and teams.